Wednesday, June 20, 2007

romantic ideal

a friend described me today as a romantic idealist. i find this somewhat humorous because i generally feel that to my male friends i most often express highly cynical attitudes regarding romance, especially in reference to myself. however, i suppose that this description may be based upon the assumption that my cynical self-expression stems not from my own beliefs, but rather from the inconsistency caused by my inability to find a manifestation of said beliefs in my own life. greater extremity in the cynicism of my expressions would thus indicate greater extremity in the romanticism of my ideals. however, neither may be linked directly to my actual attitudes, but rather to some quality in the specific topic or person who elicited said expressions.

personally i think i have pretty average romantic expectations. i want somebody who will take care of me and let me take care of him. i heard an analogy somewhere once about carrying around a bucket of love and wanting someone to share it with. me too. he doesn't have to be super-spectacular, just somebody that i'm happy to be with who's happy to be with me too. and yeah, i'd probably rather that he be similar to me in terms of attractiveness level, but seeing as how i have a rather negative view of myself in that area, i'm more lenient on guys too.

1 comment:

Dan M. said...

I really believe "romance" is a creation of Hollywood and the Hallmark company created to make people long for an ideal which is, ultimately, an impossible goal.

I do appreciate the "bucket of love" idea because to me, the best relationships I've had were the ones wherein I was able to simply enjoy sharing something with them on a level that I could not share with anyone else.