Tuesday, August 7, 2007

eye contact

the other day this customer at work was looking at me. that sounds so normal that to bother pointing it out seems funny. but he was looking at me. like, even when i looked down or away, he didn't. i'd turn to motion toward something on the menu or get his change, but i could tell that he was still just looking at me. this seems weird sometimes because i think most people have this sense of giving others a certain amount of social distance, and this guy didn't, and i noticed. it happens once in a while, and i'm like, gee, why is this guy looking at me like that?...weird... and i have to admit that it makes me wonder if maybe he thinks that maybe i'm kind of cute or something...which is nice...maybe not true, but a nice little hope. anyway, so i decided that it's time to start reminding myself how to flirt. i kind of gave up on guys and dating and stuff a while ago, but since i'm moving it might be a good time to stop being scared and start being fun.

so here's a preliminary list of things i'm going to try and work on...

eye contact, smiling, speaking with appropriate levels of volume, referring to myself and others in a way that reflects a more positive attitude, BE CONFIDENT! be happy, laugh easily (but not uncontrollably, or annoyingly ;)

anyway, i'm sure i'll think of more, but that's enough to start with, don't you think?

at any rate...some of my experiences of late have been rather enlightening and, uh...educational...hoping to be able to put it to future use...and then i had a lot of fun eatin some popsicles...

(oh, and in case you were wondering, that funk from my last post went away pretty quickly...i feel pretty much better now:)

1 comment:

scribbler said...

"eye contact, smiling, speaking with appropriate levels of volume, referring to myself and others in a way that reflects a more positive attitude, BE CONFIDENT! be happy, laugh easily (but not uncontrollably, or annoyingly ;)"

Interestingly,(at least for me) I recall moving to a new apartment that meant I would be moving in a new circle of people. At the first get-together I recall there were a couple of people who were so much "themselves" that I didn't much care for them. Oddly enough, as weeks and months progressed, those two people ended up being the people I liked,admired,respected the most. They were real. They didn't try to disguise themselves or play games.
What you see is what you get. I have a close relative who always feels inadequate and that they have to behave different or people won't like them. But it's always when they are being themselves,a bit wierd but fun< that other people are drawn to them. Honesty seems to be the best policy in the long run,