Monday, July 16, 2007

backhanded compliments

had an okay weekend. lots of work, but managed to do some fun stuff too. went to a couple of wedding receptions.

so, i'm sitting at this table with some old people, and they're giving me the basic rundown...here's a vague recreation:

old dude: do you live here in pleasant grove?
me: no, i live in provo.
old dude: oh, do you go to byu?
me: i did, but i graduated about a year ago.
old dude: oh, where is your husband?
me: oh, um, i don't have one...uh...[laugh]...[mumbling]...[was he kidding?]
old dude: what? how could that have happened?
me: [more mumbling and nervous laughter]
old dude: well, you must have a boyfriend then
me: no, never had any of those...
old dude: but aren't you a manager of that place where you work?
me: yeah
old dude: well, college graduate, good job, isn't that what young men are looking for these days?
me: [ha! in my dreams maybe!]
old dude: maybe you work too much. do you go to lots of dances?
me: [relieved to be interrupted by some relative of the old dude...but then disappointed as he brings new lady into convo]
old dude: she isn't married! can you believe it?
lady: well, a beautiful girl like you is only single because she chooses to be.

thankyou, thankyou... it's time for me to leave now and go to work. yes. i'm a workaholic. i'm a feminazi and hate men and my career at jamba juice is so important to me that i've been constantly turning down all those marriage proposals...

1 comment:

Chillygator said...

I reallyreally hate the "you're only single because you choose to be" comment. e_e

Yes, I'm only single because I decided I no longer wanted to accept dates with guys who [insert all manner of loser-like behaviors].

I do love that you admit that your love of Jamba Juice is what has been pushing you away from the guys. It's progress (o: