Thursday, January 10, 2008

multiple choice: the arts of second-guessing and best-guessing

they say that on tests you should go with your first impression. i don't know who "they" are exactly, but you should listen because "they" are right.

going over my contracts exam today, which i was expecting to be one of my best and turned out to be by far my worst, i discovered that the one answer on my scantron sheet that clearly had an erased answer--the one i erased was the right one. and comparing with the grade distribution, i realized that if i hadn't changed my answer it would have been a whole grade step up. (like C+ to B-) grr.

also, i've heard that, when in doubt on multiple choice, guess "C". also true. if, on all the ones i got wrong, i had put "C", i would have been 3 grades higher... (like B- to A-) grr again.

so, never underestimate the importance of multiple choice.

No comments: